Kerala reports 13 cases of this contagious infection, Health News, ET HealthWorld

Norovirus infection, sometimes referred to as the winter vomiting bug, causes vomiting and diarrhoea and is easily transmissible. The infection is reported in 13 students of a veterinary college in Pookode near Vythiri in Wayanad district of Kerala two weeks ago.

Following this the state has been put on alert. State health minister, Veena George asked people to be vigilant.

“As of now there is no cause for concern but everyone should be vigilant. Activities including super chlorination are underway. Drinking water sources need to be ensured to be hygienic. With proper prevention and treatment, the disease can be cured quickly. Therefore, everyone should be aware of the disease and its means of prevention,” she added.

Kerala health ministry’s guidelines stated that those who interact with animals should pay special attention. Informed that those who have drinking water sources, wells and storage tanks must be chlorinated with bleaching powder. People must use chlorinated water for domestic use and drink only boiled water.

According to America’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it is transmitted by direct contact with an infected person, consuming contaminated food or touching a contaminated surface and putting unwashed hands in the mouth.

Norovirus infection occurs most

View More Kerala reports 13 cases of this contagious infection, Health News, ET HealthWorld